Mar
04

How many oceans are on the planet?

One. While we use many names–the Pacific, Atlantic, Indian–what we think of as separate oceans is actually one vast ecosystem. Smithsonian scientists are studying the life of our ocean–everything from the ancestors of whales to conserving coral reefs to the effects of climate change.

Dive into the planet’s largest ecosystem.

Questions come alive at the Smithsonian. Seriouslyamazing,com

Photo credit: Round Wave, Maui, Hawaii, USA. “I arrived at this beach about a half an hour before sunset. I shot a good number of beach and sunset pictures on this trip and on previous trips, so I was looking for something different. I noticed the beach was funneling waves to a narrow part of the shore in one particular area, so I spent a lot of time in this spot. I was using a tripod and was about a foot above the sand. I took many images pulling my tripod into the air just as the wave hit, and I was able to catch this one perfectly round wave.” — Nature’s Best Photographer, Dennis Frates

Posted: 4 March 2013
About the Author:

Alex di Giovanni is primarily responsible for "other duties as assigned" in the Office of Communications and External Affairs. She has been with the Smithsonian since 2006 and plans to be interred in the Smithson crypt.