Today in Smithsonian History: April 30, 1928
Charles Lindbergh’s “Spirit of St. Louis” being delivered to the Smithsonian, April 30, 1928. Photographer unknown, courtesy National Air and Space Museum.
April 30, 1928 Col. Charles A. Lindbergh pilots the “Spirit of St. Louis” on its last flight from St. Louis, Mo., to Washington, D.C., and turns the plane over to the Smithsonian. It is placed on public exhibition in the main entrance of the Arts and Industries Building of the United States National Museum on May 13, 1928.
Learn more about this and other historic aircraft on display in the Boeing Milestones of Flight Gallery at the National Air and Space Museum.
The Spirit of St. Louis on display in the Arts and Industries Building, 1930s. Photographer unknown.
Nose of the Ryan NYP “Spirit of St. Louis”. After his historic nonstop solo transatlantic flight, Charles Lindbergh took the aircraft first on a US tour and then on a goodwill flight to Central and South America. Flags of the countries he visited were painted on the cowling. (Photo by Eric Long, National Air and Space Museum)
Posted: 30 April 2017