Today in Smithsonian History: July 18, 1896
The new Corcoran Gallery of Art building at 17th and E Streets, N.W., Washington, D.C. The original Corcoran Gallery of Art building on Pennsylvania Avenue eventually became the Smithsonian’s Renwick Gallery in 1972. (Photographer unknown, as featured in the Torch, April 1985)
July 18, 1896 Paintings, engravings, and other art works, deposited in the Corcoran Gallery of Art after the 1865 fire in the Smithsonian Castle, are returned to the Smithsonian Institution at the request of the Board of Regents.
Courtesy of Smithsonian Institution Archives
Posted: 18 July 2017