Today in Smithsonian History: July 31, 1876
The Armory Building, which was transferred to Smithsonian use in 1876 to store its National Museum collections. It is also used by the United States Fish Commission, administered by Smithsonian Secretary Spencer Baird. Fish Commission staff are delivering or sending fish of some type for distribution (not scientific specimens) from the Armory Building. A railroad car labeled United States Fish Commission sits near the building with a horse-drawn cart in front of the building holds wooden barrels. (Photo Engraving Co. of New York, 1885)
July 31, 1876 The U.S. Congress grants to the Smithsonian the use of the Armory Building on the southern side of the National Mall between 6th and 7th Streets. The four-story building is assigned in 1877 to the United States National Museum, which fills it from “top to bottom” with collections, including those from the Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia in 1876. The U.S. Fish Commission, administered by the Smithsonian, is also located there. The building was originally erected in 1856 for the use of local volunteers and militia.
Courtesy of Smithsonian Institution Archives
Posted: 31 July 2017