February 24, 1847 The Smithsonian Executive Committee of the Board of Regents authorizes the creation of a seal of the Smithsonian Institution, with a likeness of James Smithson. It was created by the engraver Edward Stabler, based on a bronze medallion portrait of Smithson attributed to the Engraver General of France, Pierre Joseph Tiolier (1763-1819), which was part of Smithson’s estate brought to this country in 1838 by Richard Rush. Edward Stabler designed the engraving on steel based on the Smithson medallion and a design by Smithsonian Regent, Robert Dale Owen. The seal is engraved with a profile view of the neo-classical bust of James Smithson, and the words Smithsonian Institution across the top and 1846 across the bottom. It remained in use until a new seal was designed in 1893.
Posted: 24 February 2018