Jan
28

A rose by any other name… (would still be assisting volunteers and visitors)

Chad Rabago explains why OVS’ Central Services has a new name and a new mission statement.

Logo for the Visitor Information Specialist Service

When I first joined the Smithsonian Office of Visitor Services and Volunteer Management (OVS) just over a year and a half ago, I knew that I had some big shoes to fill. Not only was I succeeding the role of a long-time legend in the world of the Smithsonian and its volunteers (the renowned Bill Blandy), but I was also taking over a long-running volunteer program, Central Services.

For over 20 years, Central Services has provided varying levels of managerial and administrative support for Visitor Information Specialists, otherwise known as information desk volunteers, across the Smithsonian. Though Central Services’ role with had changed over the years in various ways through new organizational structures, new technology, and new staff and leadership, the Central Services name had remained the same.

When I joined OVS I was asked to assess the current Central Services program. As part of that, I was to determine ways to rebrand and redefine how it can better support our volunteers and volunteer coordinators. Utilizing internal and external resources and communications, conversations with volunteers and staff, and my own experience working with the program, I found that while Central Services was strong in its reliability and familiarity with volunteers, there was room to both clarify and strengthen its purpose and its processes.

Volunteer at infomration desk talks to woman with her back to camera
Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, a volunteer visitor information specialist assists a visitor to the Smithsonian Castle. (Image courtesy Office of Visitor Services)

A major realization came from the name itself. The “Central” descriptor, while familiar, was not entirely accurate anymore. Central Services started at a time when all information desks were managed under one department. Over the years, visitor services staff grew and some museums decided to take on their own information desks and volunteer programs. Today, OVS partners with 11 of the Smithsonian museums to co-manage over 500 VIS, with some aspects of the program coordinated centrally by OVS and others managed by the museums. Additionally, the label of “Central” was unclear to people outside of visitor services, as I would sometimes be contacted thinking I was a central unit for all of the Smithsonian.

With this in mind, I got to work…

I am excited to announce that Central Services is now Visitor Information Specialist (VIS) Services. Along with the new name is a new mission statement: VIS Services supports OVS-partnered information desks through scheduling, assignments, and administration of Visitor Information Specialists.

Though only a part of the name is changed, my goal is that it will clarify who the program serves, reinforce that our information desk volunteers are known as Visitor Information Specialists, and succinctly explain how it supports our volunteers. VIS Services can provide scheduling, assignment, and administrative help in many ways:

• cancelling or picking up shifts,
  • going on extended leave,
  • cross-training at another museum,
  • being reassigned a different shift or museum,
  • renewing ID badges,
  • navigating VSys, the volunteer management database used by the Smithsonian.

While the VIS program is currently on hold due to COVID-19, and VIS Services’ involvement with the virtual information desk programs varies by museum, my hope is that with a fresh name, clarified responsibilities, and new resources, VIS Services will be prepared to support our volunteers better than ever when we return.

VIS Services can be reached Monday through Friday at its new email address, OVS-VISServices@si.edu, or by phone at 202-633-5282.

Chad Rabago is the Volunteer Services Assistant with the Office of Visitor Services and Volunteer Management. A former Smithsonian volunteer himself, he coordinates the Visitor Information Specialist (VIS) Services program, providing administrative support to VIS across 11 of the Smithsonian museums’ information desks.

Posted: 28 January 2021
About the Author:

The Torch relies on contributions from the entire Smithsonian community.