Crypt containing the body of founder James Smithson in the North Tower entrance of the Smithsonian Institution Building or Castle. Smithson’s remains were brought to the United States by Smithsonian Regent Alexander Graham Bell in 1904, when the Protestant Cemetery in Genoa, Italy, where Smithson was buried, was to be moved. Many plans were made for an elaborate memorial to the Institution’s benefactor, but the lack of an appropriation dictated a more modest course. Smithson’s marker from the Italian gravesite was incorporated into the room, and a gate was fashioned from pieces of the fence that had surrounded the site. Architects Hornblower and Marshall redesigned the room to give it a more somber classical feeling, replacing the ceiling, windows, and the floor. (Photographer unknown, 1905)

Return to article.