April 18, 1951 The ceremonies commemorating the opening of the Adams-Clement Collection are held in the west hall of the Arts and Industries Building. Speeches are given by Dr. Remington Kellogg, director of the United States National Museum; Dr. Alexander Wetmore, Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution; art historian Katharine McCook Knox; and General Ulysses S. Grant III, president of the American Planning and Civic Association.
The collection, which includes paintings, jewelry, china, letters and other family material, was donated in 1950 to the National Collection of Fine Arts, now the National Museum of American Art, and the United States National Museum, Department of History by Mary Louisa Adams Clement of Edge Hill, Warrenton, Virginia, descendent of Presidents John Adams and John Quincy Adams.
The photograph shows Dr. Kellogg at the podium with Thomas Beggs, Secretary Wetmore, and others in the background.
Posted: 18 April 2012