Sep
30

Fancy meeting you here

Secretary Clough with an endangered Indigo snake from south Georgia, Sept. 29, 2014. (Photo by Alan Peters)

Wayne Clough was born and raised in Georgia, going on to attend Georgia Tech and later becoming the first alumnus to serve as president of that university. His attachment to the Peach State hasn’t waned during his tenure as Secretary of the Smithsonian. He recently visited the Zoo, he says, “as part of my effort to find things at the Smithsonian related to the area in South Georgia where I grew up.

“I earned my pay on this one!” Dr. Clough continues. “This is an endangered Indigo snake collected on or very near land that belonged to my Grandfather Clough. Incidentally, we have other specimens of Indigo snakes at Pod 5 out at the Museum Support Center in Suitland but they are not warm and cuddly like the one at the Zoo.”

Only at the Smithsonian!

Posted: 30 September 2014
About the Author:

Alex di Giovanni is primarily responsible for "other duties as assigned" in the Office of Communications and External Affairs. She has been with the Smithsonian since 2006 and plans to be interred in the Smithson crypt.