May 7, 1889 John B. Hatcher, an assistant to the famous paleontologist, O. C. Marsh, professor at Yale University and vertebrate paleontologist for the U.S. Geological Survey, visits a fossil site at the bottom of deep canyon on a ranch in Converse (now Niobrara) County in Wyoming. There he finds the the remains of a creature that Marsh would name Triceratops. Over the next several years, Hatcher excavated the fossils, which became part of the collections of the U.S. National Museum (now the National Museum of Natural History.)
The Natural History Museum’s Division of Paleobiology seeks to increase public and scientific understanding of the biological and environmental history of Earth through the study of fossil animals, plants, and protists. In addition to performing scientific research, Smithsonian scientists assemble and curate fossil collections that are studied by colleagues from around the country and the world. We exhibit extraordinary fossils in the public spaces of our Museum and we help train future generations of paleontologists.
Posted: 8 May 2016