January 17, 1883 The Board of Regents presents a resolution to Congress requesting an appropriation of $300,000 to enlarge the National Museum by erecting a new building on the southwest corner of the Smithsonian Reservation in order to house the U.S. Geological Survey–at the time occupying 20 rooms in the National Museum building (now known as the Arts and Industries Building.) The request, coming just two years after the National Museum Building opened, is denied.
It was not until 1902 that Congress appropriated funding for a new U.S. National Museum, now the National Museum of Natural History.
Courtesy Smithsonian Institution Archives
Posted: 17 January 2020