The search is underway for the next Director of the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory. Charles Alcock, director since 2004, has announced he will step down from that position in 2021.
A search committee has been appointed to identify, evaluate and recommend candidates for the position:
- Edo Berger, Harvard University, Department of Astronomy
- Pepi Fabbiano, Co-Chair, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
- David Johnston, Harvard University, Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences
- Mercedes López-Morales, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
- Ramesh Narayan, Co-Chair, Harvard University, Department of Astronomy
- Karin Oberg, Harvard University, Department of Astronomy
- Mark Reid, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
- Michael J. Tuteur, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory Advisory Board Chair
- Greg Bettwy, Smithsonian Institution, Chief of Staff to the Secretary
- Zoë Fonseca-Kelly, Harvard University, Assistant Dean for Science
The search firm of Isaacson, Miller has also been engaged to assist Harvard University and the Smithsonian with this search.
Posted: 18 November 2020