Aug
10

Now and later: A legacy that spans generations

F. Lynn Holec steps forward as lead donor of the Smithsonian Legacy Challenge.

Holec poses in front of hanging flower basket at AIB building
F. Lynn Holec (Photo courtesy Smithsonian Office of Advancement)

When Lynn Holec established a bequest to ensure the Smithsonian’s future, she affirmed the longevity and sustained impact of the world’s largest museum, education and research complex.

“Ultimately, what led me to focus on the Smithsonian for my legacy is that it will be here for a long time,” said Holec, who has been an annual donor for more than 25 years. “It’s clearly developed itself into a powerful draw. Scientists want to do research and curators want to work at the museums. It’s the people. It’s the culture.”

Now, she has stepped forward once again to advance this important work in the near term by establishing the Lynn Holec Legacy Matching Fund to support the Smithsonian Legacy Challenge. Through her remarkable gift, ten percent of the value of all qualifying planned gifts made to the Smithsonian within the next year will be matched, up to $10,000 each, with funds that will go directly to the designated museum or research center for immediate use.

“The advantage of making this gift now and having the opportunity to match other people’s contributions is that I actually get to see the benefits, as opposed to my inheritance, which only comes to fruition many years from now.” She added, “It’s kind of fun to see exactly what other people focus on and to have the opportunity to leverage my donation by encouraging others to give to the Smithsonian.”

The first matched gift is from a donor designating the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (STRI), which Holec visited in 2016. While she was impressed by the research and facilities, she was less thrilled by the roadways. She recalled her tour bus getting stuck in an enormous pothole in Colón, then everyone rallying to fix it. “Since my retirement, I have been more aware of the research parts of the Smithsonian,” said Holec. “I always appreciated the museums, but prior to my deeper participation, I did not really comprehend the extensiveness of the research that goes on.”

She also has great admiration for Smithsonian leaders and their vision. “Soliciting funds is required to sustain the Smithsonian, and Secretary Lonnie Bunch can do that—but he also knows museums, and he’s an excellent manager.” In his book, A Fool’s Errand, she read how he had to use a crowbar to get into his first office. “It’s indicative of his leadership,” she asserted. “There’s not much that is going to stop him, and that certainly makes me more willing to have my giving do more for the Smithsonian.”

Holec emphasized that she did not come from a family of wealth. After serving in federal positions for a decade, she built her own company and saved enough to support herself and her family, as well as the organizations she holds dear. “I made some smart choices, I worked hard, and I had some luck,” she reflected. Now, she is paying it forward, giving generously to benefit both current and future generations.

“I think the Smithsonian Legacy Challenge is a really clever idea,” said Holec. “Sitting down to write a will is a task, so having a reason to do it now is brilliant. For donors, it’s wonderful to see a percentage of your legacy go to something that you cherish now.” Hers truly is a gift that keeps giving.

Freelance writer Erika Hartings originally wrote this post for the Smithsonian Office of Advancement.

Posted: 10 August 2022
About the Author:

The Torch relies on contributions from the entire Smithsonian community.